AM14U5 - 6 Wheel Drop Center Robot Drive Base - FIRST Kit of Parts Chassis
This is the "AM" - "ONE" - "FOR" - "YOU"! Perfect for prototyping robotic applications as well as being part of the final design! A large format, infinitely configurable drive platform ...Read More
0 reviewsWrite a Review
This is the "AM" - "ONE" - "FOR" - "YOU"!
Perfect for prototyping robotic applications as well as being part of the final design! A large format, infinitely configurable drive platform is designed and built with performance in mind. You are getting a drive chassis that has three main configurations (Long, Square & Wide) as starting options. The drop center wheel allows for smoother turning ability, while maintaining stability.
What Can You Do?
Want to learn what you can change and accomplish with the AM14U5? Start here for a look at all the things this frame can do for you.
The 5th major upgrade to this chassis with many more minor revisions. Our AM14U family of products have built upon the lessons learned since the first AM14U was designed in 2013. And it was a major upgrade to the C-base chassis that was part of the FIRST Kit of Parts since 2009.
Assembly and cutting of aluminum is required. See the Assembly Videos below.
If this chassis is being used for the FIRST Robotics Competition, please consider the robot perimeter rules and size this chassis accordingly. The manual helps clearly show where to make cuts for different sizes, you can adapt your cuts to fit as needed.
NOTE: This chassis DOES NOT include the following as there are many options for each case:
- CIM motors (am-0255) or NEO Motors (am-4258)
- Bumper Hardware Mount Kit (am-3966)
- Vertical Battery Mount Kit (am-3964a)Recommended method for Battery mounting to this chassis.
Various Frame Size Configurations:
Built on the same great features of previous AM14U family chassis, this can be configured into many different perimeter, wheel, and gearbox configurations. There are literally thousands of possible playing configurations.
- Smallest Frame size: 24.3 in. x 27 in.
- Largest Frame size: 32.3 in. x 31 in.
It is shipped as a Kit with plates that can build in a large square configuration. This makes it the largest possible size and allows for the user to trim the length and width of the chassis to become a long, wide, or a smaller square to fit different the size constraints of each specific year. The assembly instructions show how it can be changed, be sure to check out the assembly videos as well.
Multiple Wheel And Build Configuration Options:
For even more wheel and build configurations, check out our AM14U4 & AM14U5 Wheel Upgrades!
The AM14U5 does not include encoders. The Toughbox Mini gearboxes included in the AM14U5 ship with an output shaft (am-2566b) that has two holes in the end for optional included 1/4" diameter steel dowels (am-1323) that are compatible with the US Digital E4T Encoder (am-3132) and the REV Through Bore Encoder (am-4650). Teams also have the option of purchasing a magnetic dowel (am-3505) to replace the steel dowel allowing the use of the SRX Magnetic Encoder (am-3445). In order to use this encoder on the Toughbox Mini, our SRX Magnetic Encoder Mounting Hardware Kit (am-3565) must also be used to mount each encoder.
Assembly Video Guides
What comes in the beautiful 34x7x7 in. box:
- 2 - AM14U5 Inside Plate (am-3922a)
- 2 - AM14U Family End Plate (am-3920)
- 2 - AM14U5 Outside Plate (am-3921a)
- 6 - HiGrip Wheels (am-0940b)
- 2 - Toughbox Mini (am-14U5_T22)
- 2 - 1/2 in. Churro (am-2974)
- 4 -15 mm Wide 5 mm Pitch HTD 160 Tooth (am-2266)
- 4 -15 mm Wide 5 mm Pitch HTD 120 Tooth (am-2704)
- 4 -15 mm Wide 5 mm Pitch HTD 131 Tooth (am-2571)
- 20 - 1/4-20 x 0.75 in. Slotted Indented Hex Thread Cutting Screw (am-1591)
- 4 - 3/8-16 x 4.25 in. Hex Head Bolt (am-1297)
- 4 - 3/8-16 Nylock Nut (am-1054)
- 2 - 0.57 in. ID 0.505 in. OD 1.125 in. Hex Spacer Plastic (am-1305)
- 4 - 0.28 in. ID 0.382 in. OD 0.518 in. Spacer (am-1306)
- 4 - 0.380 in. ID 0.750 in. OD 0.850 in. Long Spacer (am-1307)
- 24 - 10-32 x 0.5 in. Socket Head Cap Screw (am-1002)
- 24 - 10-32 Nylock Nut (am-1042)
- 8 - 1/2 in. Churro (am-2569)
- 8 - 42 Tooth 5 mm HTD 15 mm Wide Bearing Bore Plastic Pulley (am-2234a)
- 2 - AndyMark Hub (am-4124)
- 50 - 10-24 x 1.25 in. Thread Forming Screw Hex Washer Head (am-1266)
- 8 - 3/8 in. Round ID Shielded Bearing (1614ZZ) (am-0209)
- 2 - 1/2 in. Round ID Flanged Shielded Bearing (FR8ZZ) (am-0030)
To control this drive, you will need a power and control system like the Electronic Bundles kit, roboRIO, Spark Max, 4 CIM motors, and PDP (BCRX4CP). Many options are available!
The chassis requires a minimum of two CIM style motors (am-0255), but we recommend four CIMs to be competitive in situations like heavy robots, high traction, and pushing match situations that put a lot of load on the motors. You will also need at least one battery. We recommend the 2 Pack of Interstate Batteries (am-3062), and the 3 Bank 6 Amp Dual Pro RS3 Charger (am-2026). There are many options available here as well, take your pick!
- Center Drop Distance: 0.140 in. for Long Configuration, 0.07 in. for Wide Configuration
- Ratio: 10.75:1
- Weight: 31 lbs
Don't see what you need?