The PicoBox Duo is a single reduction, double motor input gearbox that utilizes steel 32DP gears. This gearbox accepts two NeveRest Classic gearmotors as its input, and has a robust steel 6 mm D shaft for it's output. The motors can be installed on each side of the output shaft, or the motors can be installed side by side with the output shaft installed on one of the ends of the gearbox.
The PicoBox Duo can also be built as a double reduction, single motor input, single output gearbox with an included 36 mm D shaft to facilitate stacking two gears on a cluster shaft that would be installed in the middle of the gearbox.
The kit comes with 3 different gear ratio options, so that you can experiment and understand how changing the gear ratio affects the driving performance of the TileRunner.
- 45 Tooth and 35 Tooth gear combination yields a 1:0.78 over drive
- Two 40 Tooth gears yeild a 1:1 ratio
- 35 Tooth and 45 Tooth gear combination yields a 1:1.28 reduction
The PicoBox Uno is not compatible with the NeveRest Motor Only (am-3104) or NeveRest Orbital line, as the PicoBox Duo requires the use of the NeveRest gearbox as part of the motor input assemblies. The PicoBox Duo accepts up to two of the following motors at a time:
All AndyMark gearboxes require grease for proper operation and long life. We suggest using our red tacky grease, am-2768. We also encourage that the user powers the gearbox continuously for 30 minutes without grease to allow the gear teeth to wear in. While we do design with short runtimes in mind, this 'run in' period for smooth gearbox operation, is recommended. Once this is completed, thorough grease of the gear teeth periodically to ensure smooth operation.
Individual Components within Kit
- 4 - 1/4-20 Nylock Jam Nut - Bulk Qty (am-1102)
- 12 - M3-0.5 x 6 mm SHCS (am-1254)
- 12 - 6-32 0.5" Hex Head Bulk Qty
- 4 - 1/4-20 x 1.75" Hex Head
- 3 - 6 mm D Bore Double Boss Nub w/ Set Screw (am-3215), purchasable here Nubs
- 4 - 6x12x4 Flanged Bearing (am-3377)
- 2 - PicoBox Duo Plate (am-3405)
- 4 - PicoBox Spacer (am-3406)
- 2 - Spacer, aluminum, 12.7 mm OD x 6.15 mm ID x 9 mm (am-3426)
- 1 - 6 mm D Shaft, 36 mm, plated (am-3226-036), purchasable here 6 mm D Shaft
- 1 - 6 mm D Shaft, 100 mm, plated (am-3226-100), purchasable here 6 mm D Shaft
- 3 - 40T Gear for PicoBox (am-3407)
- 2 - 35T Gear for PicoBox (am-3408)
- 2 - 45T Gear for PicoBox (am-3409)
- 1 - Red Tacky Grease, 14.2 gram (am-2768)
- Motor Input: NeveRest Classic
- Motor Quantity: 1, 2
- Ratio: 1:0.78, 1:1, 1:1.28
- Weight: ~1.25 Lbs
Decent platform for configuration
I purchased these because it said you needed them to convert the "GTO" chassis to the TreadRunner upgrade. They do make it easier to configure your output to 3 different locations with 2 motors for increased power. The only downside I've noticed is that if you want to increase your gear ratio you can only do it if the output is in the center. Otherwise the motor mounts are too close together to put a bigger gear on the motors, without modifying the mounting holes. Also, this is not required to convert your "GTO" chassis. The motor plate that comes with the kit will do the same thing with 1 less plate. AndyMark Response: Thank you for your review. A full PicoBox Duo is not required to convert from a "GTO" chassis to a TreadRunner, only the PicoBox Duo Plate, am-3405. A GTO chassis includes PicoBox GEO plates but the TreadRunner requires PicoBox Duo Plates and NeveRest Classic gearmotors and a 1:1 gear ratio within the PicoBox.
Going to experiment with this as well.