The REV NEO 550 Brushless Motor is the newest member of the NEO family of brushless motors. Its output power and small size are specifically designed to make NEO 550 the perfect motor for intakes and other non-drivetrain robot mechanisms. Mounting holes and pilot match a standard 550 series motor, making it natively mount to many existing off-the-shelf gearboxes.
NEO 550 has been optimized to work with the REV SPARK MAX Motor Controller to deliver best-in-class performance and feedback. Brushless motors like the NEO 550 can ONLY be driven using brushless motor controllers and will be damaged if used incorrectly. Currently, the only FRC legal brushless motor controller is the SPARK MAX.
This motor can be selected without a pinion for you to use existing hardware, or you can select one of two pinion options. We offer a pre-pressed twelve tooth pinion preparing the NEO 550 for use in any number of custom gearbox designs. We also offer a version with a sixteen tooth pinion. This pinion allows the NEO 550 to be used in the super strong planetary gearbox, the 57 Sport.
- Mounting features match 550 series DC Motors: Drop the NEO 550 in wherever another 550 motor was.
- Out-Runner Construction: Allows you to mount motion components to the rear bolt circle.
- Front and Rear Ball Bearings: The output shaft is supported in several places making it superior at handling loads.
- High-Temperature Neodymium Magnets: Strong magnets capable of handling the abuse of competitive robotics.
- High-Flex Silicone Motor Wires: For superior wire management.
- Integrated Encoder: For built-in position feedback.
- Motor Temperature Sensor: Understand the stress your motor is under by reading its temperature.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your AndyMark order number.
Per REV: NEO 550 Brushless Motors, with date code 202109, may have an undersized shaft which causes press-fit components to be a slip fit on the shaft. We're recommending the components be retained with Loctite 635, 638 ("green loctite") or an equivalent "retaining compound". If neither of these are available, Loctite 680 or Loctite 380 are also an acceptable alternative.
REV has also published a solution if you find that Loctite is not working for you.
- Diameter (Body): 1.378 in. (35 mm)
- Diameter (Shaft): 0.125 in. (3.175 mm)
- Encoder Counts Per Revolution: 42
- Free Current: 1.4 Amps
- Free Speed: 11000 RPM
- Gauge: 16 AWG
- Length (Body): 1.752 in. (44.5 mm)
- Length (Shaft): 0.267 in. (7 mm)
- Manufacturer Part #: REV-21-1651
- Maximum Power: 279 Watts
- Motor Kv: 917 Kv
- Mounting Geometry: Four M3x0.5 holes on a 0.98 in. Circle
- Stall Current: 100 Amps
- Stall Torque: 0.97 Nm
- Voltage: 12 Volts DC
- Weight: 0.313 lbs
Motor is great....connections not so much
The motor works great. Wiring it was a real pain. Those JST connectors are an abomination. There is no cable mount male connector available so cable extensions require either cutting the connector(s) off and soldering wires or using one of the couplers (am-4945 or REV-11-1277). Also, there is no strain relief on the JST connector. One of our wires broke off right at the pin on the motor connector (at a competition of course). After fixing that, a bit of hot glue between the wires and the top of the connector provided some strain relief. So, if you can mount the motor controller right next to the motor or have plenty of room for the coupler, extension cable and 3 power wires then go for it. If room is tight, good luck.
This motor seems great. Lightweight yet has the power to do many of the jobs we need.