iR3 Creative developed this actuator in 2014, and it has received a design upgrade for a new release in January of 2016. This design upgrade focused on cost savings compared to the previous design, and therefore the price has been dropped by over $80. This version functions the same as the previous version, but the internal parts are unique and different from the past version. This is why we have re-numbered this version to have an "a" as the suffix of the part number, am-3072a.
The steel, double leaded screw has a 0.50" O.D., a 0.20" lead, and 53% efficiency. The 12" stroke assembly weighs approximately 3.0 lbs without the CIM motor and 5.8 lbs with. There is a 6" version (am-3076a) of this same DART actuator if you wish to have a shorter stroke.
Linear actuators are not meant to be side loaded. The use of rod ends is encouraged to avoid these type of loads.
This product is shipped unassembled. Please see the assembly instructions for how to put this product together. We chose to ship this product unassembled in order to be able to offer it at a low price.
Note: The CIM Motor (am-0255) and the DART Sensor Kit (am-3077a) are NOT included in this product, and need to be purchased separately.
**NEW** Improvements, as of November, 2016:
We've listened to customer feedback and responded with these improvements.
- Rod Cap is now zinc-plated steel instead of aluminum.
- The 5/16-24 female mounting hole at the end of the actuator is much stronger.
- 3/16" Shoulder Screw holding on the 14T gear on the linear drive has much longer threads.
- 2.5:1 204lbf at 5.33 in/s
- 2:1 163.4 lbf at 6.67in/s*
- 1:1 81.7 lbf at 13.3 in/s*
- 10-turn potentiometer is included, sensing the turns of the leadscrew
- A 14 tooth gear on the lead screw turns a 96 tooth gear on the potentiometer for a 6.85:1 ratio
- The potentiometer will turn 8.76 times during a 12 inch travel
- An optional hall effect sensor kit (am-3077a) is available (but not included) as an add on
Linear actuators are not meant to be side loaded. The use of rod ends is encouraged to avoid these type of loads. Each end is tapped for a 5/16"-24 thread to accept common rod end sizes.
The DART was designed to achieve equivalent forces of a 2" bore pneumatic cylinder at 60 psi and to be used with a CIM motor fused at 40 amps. While it's possible to exceed these values you may see decreased life in the various ware components.
It is recommended to run this actuator with hall effect and/or current protection as it is possible to stall or "stick" the lead screws when stalled against a hard stop at both ends of travel. It's recommended to use the the hall effect switches to limit travel of the actuator from the end stops. When using faster ratios it may be possible to overrun the limits slightly and programming methods may require ease into stroke ends. If you are not able to program these functions we recommend using a Talon SRX which has on-board switch monitoring and current protection.
- Diameter: 0.50 in.
- Efficiency: 53%
- Material: 4140 Steel
- Product Lifecycle: discontinued, <a href='/search?utf8=✓&q=dart'>check here</a> for remaining components
- Weight: ~4.0 Lbs. (without CIM)
Returns are not accepted for this product.
"Good actuators for price"
"A little difficult to assemble, good force/speed characteristics for the price. Generally, well made"
DART, 12" Actuator Kit (am-3072a)
DART, 12" Actuator Kit (am-3072a)
DART 12" Actuator kit
This item arrived just in time to beat going on backorder status. I had a few problems with items being not present in the kit or being incorrect. That being said, Andymark provided excellent after the sale support by sending the appropriate parts immediately. A few hiccups but still an overall good experience.