The NeveRest 40 is a gearmotor with an attached encoder. The output shaft geometry
and the gearbox housing diameter is similar to what FTC teams are
familiar with. The shaft is 6mm dia and the gearbox housing is 37mm
This is the same as part 'am-2964' as per the manual, these have the addition of power pole connectors pre-attached!
- According to the FIRST Tech Challenge Game Manual Part 1, Rule RE09, this is legal for the 2018 FTC Game.
- According to the FIRST Robotics Challenge Game Manual, Rule R33, this is legal for the 2018 FRC Game as it uses the NeveRest am-3104 motor.
Encoder Cable Options:
The NeveRest Orbital 20 comes with our am-2992 cable which has the white 4-pin connector for the encoder and also the black 4-pin connector for the HiTechnic and Modern Robotics motor controller. am-2993 is an optional encoder cable which has the white 4-pin connector on one end and 4 separate black connectors on the other end.
There is an encoder mounted to the back side of this motor. It is a 7 pulse per revolution (ppr), hall effect encoder. Since the motor's gearbox has a 40:1 reduction, then the NeverRest 40 output shaft provides 280 ppr.
Working with the Encoders:
- Overall Length: 133.5mm (5.26 in)
- Maximum Diameter: 37mm (1.46 in)
- Output Shaft size: 6mm (0.24 in) with 0.5mm deep flat
- Weight: 0.75 pound
- Mounting Geometry: Six, M3 tapped holes on a 31mm bolt circle
- Maximum thread depth: 3.5mm. Do not go beyond this, or you can damage the plate and stop the motor.
- Electrical Connection Geometry: 6-pin connector for motor power and encoder contact
- Gear Material: Steel
- Body Material: Steel with plastic encoder housing
- Lubrication: Included with gearbox
- Shaft Hardness: 45-50 Rockwell C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale)
- Wire Gauge: 18 AWG
Performance Specs, mounted to AndyMark dyno:
- Gearbox Reduction: 40:1
- Voltage: 12 volt DC
- No Load Free Speed, at gearbox output shaft: 160 rpm
- Force Needed to Back-Drive: 12.8 oz-in
- No Load Free Speed, motor only: 6,600 rpm
- Gearbox Output Power: 14W
- Stall Torque: 350 oz-in
- Stall Current: 11.5 amps
- Force Needed to Break Gearbox: 1478 oz-in
- Minimum torque needed to back drive: 12.8 oz-in
- Output counts per revolution of Output Shaft (cpr): 1120 (280 rises of Channel A)
- Output pulse per revolution of encoder shaft (ppr): 28 (7 rises of Channel A)
- Max Speed (under load of dyno): 129 rpm
- No Load Current (under load of dyno): 0.4 amps
- Stall Current: 11.5 amps
- Stall Torque: 396 oz-in
- Max Output Power: 15 Watts
- Time to Failure at Stall: 2 minutes, 54 seconds
- Motor Case Temperature at Failure: 190 degrees F
Cougar Robotics 4251 has done some great research on this motor. See their notes on our motor.