The NeveRest Orbital 20 is a gearmotor with an attached encoder. The output shaft geometry and the gearbox housing diameter is similar to what FIRST Tech Challenge teams are familiar with, and it shares a mounting interface with the NeveRest Orbital 3.7. (This is a different mounting pattern than the NeveRest Classic 20, 40, and 60.) The shaft is 6mm diameter and the gearbox housing is 38 mm in diameter.
The power cable which feeds into the black encoder housing has two Powerpole connectors already crimped to the end of the cable.
- According to the FIRST Tech Challenge Game Manual Part 1, Rule RE09, this is legal for the 2017-2018 FTC Game.
- According to the FIRST Robotics Challenge Game Manual, Rule R33, this is legal for the 2018 FRC Game as it uses the NeveRest am-3104 motor.
Encoder Cable Options:
The NeveRest Orbital 20 comes with our am-2992 cable which has the white 4-pin connector for the encoder and also the black 4-pin connector for the HiTechnic and Modern Robotics motor controller. am-2993 is an optional encoder cable which has the white 4-pin connector on one end and 4 separate black connectors on the other end.
There is an encoder mounted to the back side of this motor. It is a 7 pulse per revolution (ppr) hall effect encoder. Since the motor's gearbox has a 19.2:1 reduction, the NeverRest Orbital 20 output shaft provides 134.4 ppr, or 537.6 counts per revolution within the software environment.
Working with the Encoders:
Theoretical Performance Specifications:
- Overall Length: 135 mm (5.34")
- Maximum Diameter: 38 mm (1.50")
- Output Shaft size: 6mm (0.24") with 0.5mm deep flat
- Weight: 0.988 Pounds
- Mounting Holes: Four M3x0.5 on 28MM Bolt Circle
- Electrical Connection Geometry: 6-pin connector for motor power and encoder contact
- Gear Material: Steel
- Body Material: Steel with plastic encoder housing
- Lubrication: Included with gearbox
- Shaft Hardness: 45-50 Rockwell C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale)
- Wire Gauge: 18AWG
- Gearbox Reduction: 19.2:1
- Voltage: 12 Volt DC
- No Load Free Speed, at gearbox output shaft: 340 RPM
- Force Needed to Back-Drive: 6.4 oz-in
- Gearbox Output Power: 14 W
- Stall Torque: 175 oz-in
- Stall Current: 11.5 A
- Output counts per revolution of Output Shaft (cpr): 537.6
- Output pulse per revolution of encoder shaft (ppr): 134.4