This shift-on-the-fly gearbox, uses a dog gear shifting method. Motor input accepts two CIM motors, or two AM Planetary Gearboxes or a combination of either (both not included). The output shaft is a 1/2" 4140 steel shaft with a 1/8" keyway.
The Super Shifter includes hardware for pneumatic shifting, but the pneumatic cylinder
is not included. Pneumatic shifting hardware is installed as standard.
Servo shifting hardware is available as an additional hardware package
Three differences compared to the AM Shifter design:
- An extra reduction stage is included. This stage allows for direct drive applications of 4", 6" and 8" wheels.
- The output shaft extends from the side of the gearbox, as opposed to being captured within the side plates.
- A 2" wide aluminum box tube is used as a protective spacer, safely enclosing the transmission.
Two shifting methods are available for the Super Shifter. The pneumatic method is much stronger and faster than the servo method.
- A pneumatic cylinder, Bimba model 04-0.5-DP, 3/4" bore x 1/2" stroke, (not included) shifts between high and low gear. This cylinder mounts with a 5/8-18 nut (not included). This is a strong, fast method of shifting, lasting under 0.5 seconds and pushing with 26 pounds of force (if using 60 psi). This pneumatic shift can be done while a robot is accelerating.
approx. 4.0 lbs., without motors or pneumatic cylinder installed
- A Servo Shifting hardware pack is available (am-2442), but not included with this product.
- A Hi-Tech Servo, model HS-322HD is included in am-2442, using an actuation fork to shift between the 2 gear settings. This is a slow, weaker method of shifting (compared to pneumatic), taking 1.5-2 seconds and pushing with up to 8 pounds of force. A robot driver may need to back off of the throttle to let a servo shift gears while moving.
Gear Ratios Options:
All AndyMark gearboxes require grease for proper operation and long life. We suggest using our red tacky grease, am-2768. We also encourage that the user powers the gearbox continuously for 30 minutes without grease to allow the gear teeth to wear in. While we do design with short run times in mind, this 'run in' period for smooth gearbox operation, is recommended. Once this is completed, thoroughly grease the gear teeth periodically to ensure smooth operation.
To purchase individual parts to change ratios on your own, see Optional Parts Sold Separately below.
- Shielded, flanged ball bearings
- 4140 steel 20 dp gears, w/ 14.5 degree pressure angle
- 1/4" thick aluminum side plates
- AM-3132 Encoder and Cable
Optional Parts Sold Separately:
Optional Super Shifter Output Shafts:
- An aluminum Hex SS Wheel Shaft can replace the standard steel Wheel Shaft
- Four 2" long spacers can replace the black box extrusion, but this exposes interior gearing.
The Super Shifter uses many of the same fabricated parts as the AM Shifters (am-0001 or am-0957) transmissions: CIM gears (12 tooth), Large Cluster Gear, Medium Cluster Gear, Small Output Gear, Large Output Gear, Dog Gear, Cylinder plate, Shifter Shaft, and Shift Block