The AM Shifter includes hardware for both pneumatic shifting and servo shifting (the pneumatic cylinder is not included). Hardware for the pneumatic shifting method is installed for shipment while the servo-shifting hardware is packed in the hardware baggie.
This transmission is a two-speed, shift-on-the-fly gearbox, using a dog shifting method. Motor input includes two CIM motors, or two AM Planetary Gearboxes or a combination of either. The output shaft is contained within the side plates of the gearbox. Two 12-tooth sprockets are mounted to the output shaft. The overall ratio between high and low gear is 4:1.
Two shifting methods are available for the AM Shifter. The pneumatic method is much stronger and faster than the servo method.
- A pneumatic cylinder, Bimba model 04-0.5-DP, 3/4" bore x 1/2" stroke, (not included) shifts between high and low gear. This cylinder mounts with a 5/8-16 nut (not included). This is a strong, fast method of shifting, lasting under 0.5 seconds and pushing with 26 pounds of force (if using 60 psi). This pneumatic shift can be done while a robot is accelerating.
- A Hi-Tech Servo, model HS-322HD is included, using an actuation fork to shift between the 2 gear settings. This is a slow, weaker method of shifting (compared to pneumatic), taking 1.5-2 seconds and pushing with up to 5 pounds of force. A robot driver may need to back off of the throttle to let a servo shift gears while moving.
All AndyMark gearboxes require grease for proper operation and long life. We suggest using our red tacky grease, am-2768. We also encourage that the user powers the gearbox continuously for 30 minutes without grease to allow the gear teeth to wear in. While we do design with short runtimes in mind, this 'run in' period for smooth gearbox operation, is recommended. Once this is completed, thorough grease of the gear teeth periodically to ensure smooth operation.
- Shielded, flanged ball bearings
- 4140 steel 20 dp gears, w/ 14.5 degree pressure angle
- 3/32" thick steel side plates with zinc plating
- encoder, and servo included
- Output sprockets: 12 tooth, 35 series steel
(shipped in a bag, with gearbox)
- Ratio between High and Low gears: 4:1
- Low Gear: 10.67:1
- High Gear: 2.67:1
(available as AM Shifter with 2.56:1 spread (am-0001) or individual gears below)
- Aluminum inside and outside replacement side
plates are available