DART is a strong, fast, linear actuator designed by the engineers at iR3 Creative. It's driven by a CIM Motor
and uses a 0.2 inch pitch ACME lead screw to actuate an aluminum tube 6 inches. Two different sensor feedback methods are available with
this actuator, with a potentiometer included in the assembly. An
optional DART Sensor Pack is available (but not included), using hall effect sensors
detecting a moving magnet near the lead screw nut. iR3 Creative
developed this actuator in 2014, and it has received a design upgrade
for a new release in January of 2016. This design upgrade focused on cost savings compared to the previous design, and therefore the price has been dropped by over
$80. This version functions the same as the previous version, but the
internal parts are unique and different from the past version. This
is why we have re-numbered this version to have an "a" as the suffix of
the part number, am-3072a.
The steel, double leaded screw has a
0.50" O.D., a 0.20" lead, and 53% efficiency. The 6" stroke assembly
weighs approximately 3.0 lbs without the CIM motor and 5.8 lbs with. There is a 12" version (
am-3072a) of this same DART actuator if you wish to have a longer stroke.
Linear actuators are not meant to be side loaded. The use of rod ends is encouraged to avoid these type of loads. This
product is shipped unassembled. Please see the assembly instructions
for how to put this product together. We chose to ship this product
unassembled in order to be able to offer it at a low price.
Note: The CIM Motor (am-0255) and the DART Sensor Kit (am-3077a) are NOT included in this product, and need to be purchased separately.
Check out iR3's Actuator Calculator.
**NEW** Improvements, as of November, 2016:
We've listened to customer feedback and responded with these improvements.
- Rod Cap is now zinc-pated steel instead of aluminum. Therefore, the 5/16-24 female mounting hole is much stronger.
- 3/16" Shoulder Screw holding on the 14T gear on the linear drive has much longer threads.
- AndyMark is assembling the entire linear module (this is why we raised the price by $14)
- Weight (without CIM): approximately 3.0lbs
- Weight (with CIM): 5.8 lbs
- Theoretical Force and Speed: 204 lbf at 5.3 in/s* (using included 2.5:1 belt ratio)
- Travel: 6 inches
- CIM NOT INCLUDED
Optional Other Ratios:
- Type: Acme Lead
- Material: 4140 Steel
- Diameter: 0.50"
- Lead: 0.20"
- Efficiency: 53%
- 2:1 163.4 lbf at 6.67in/s*
- 1:1 81.7 lbf at 13.3 in/s*
- 10-turn potentiometer is included, sensing the turns of the leadscrew
- A 14 tooth gear on the lead screw turns a 96 tooth gear on the potentiometer for a 6.85:1 ratio
- The potentiometer will turn 4.4 times during a 6 inch travel
- An optional hall effect sensor kit (am-3077a) is available (but not included) as an add on
Linear actuators are not meant to be side loaded. The use of rod ends is
encouraged to avoid these type of loads. Each end is tapped for a
5/16"-24 thread to accept common rod end sizes.
The DART was designed to achieve equivalent forces of a 2" bore
pneumatic cylinder at 60 psi and to be used with a CIM motor fused at 40
amps. While it's possible to exceed these values you may see decreased
life in the various ware components.
It is recommended to
run this actuator with hall effect and/or current protection as it is
possible to stall or "stick" the lead screws when stalled against a hard
stop at both ends of travel. It's recommended to use the the hall
effect switches to limit travel of the actuator from the end stops. When
using faster ratios it may be possible to overrun the limits slightly
and programming methods may require ease into stroke ends. If you are
not able to program these functions we recommend using a Talon SRX which
has on-board switch monitoring and current protection.