The Rhino Track Drive is a tank track module utilizing a two (2) inch wide timing belt tread. Four (4) robust molded pulleys direct the path of a high grip belt, driven by an optional AndyMark gearbox or transmission. Two (2) of these modules can be used to create a tank drive-base like our Outdoor Rhino Track Drive (am-3446). The Rhino Track Drive features rigid, 3/16 inch thick aluminum plates and an easily adjustable belt tension mechanism. This is an ambidextrous module, so it can be used for the left or right side just by switching the plates from one side to the other. Once mounting it to cross braces like REV Extrusion, not included, or another Chassis, you can choose to make countersink holes on the appropriate sides. The Rhino Track Drive Module ships in an un-assembled kit. Please see the assembly instructions on the "Files and Documents" tab for any assembly assistance.
NOT INCLUDED: A gearbox, such as the Toughbox Mini, as shown in the layout print and example pictures. Bumper brackets (am-3358) are available, but not included.
This module includes one belt. In order to create a typical drive system for most applications, two modules will need to be purchased. We suggest the use of four (4) pieces of 1" wide REV extrusion as bracing structure between two Rhino Track Drive Modules. Pictures of this setup version are shown on the "How To / Pictures" tab.
During normal use of this belt, the blue rubber tread may begin to
delaminate (split apart from the timing belt). If this happens, please
follow these steps to fix the belt:
Belt Tension: Proper belt tension is detailed in this document.
- Keep the belt mounted to the drive pulley mechanism (do not remove the belt from your robot)
- Clean both surfaces where the delamination is happening, removing debris and dirt
- Take time to allow the cleaned area to dry
- Use a rubber to rubber adhesive such as super glue. This has great bonding properties
to adhere the tread (roughtop carbox, in this case) to the urethane
timing belt material.
- Keep pressure on the newly glued area by
moving this area over an end pulley. This applies continual contact
between the rubber and timing belt.
- Wait 20-30 minutes for the adhesive to cure.
Bumpers: We have a bumper set you can buy for these if needed. Check out the Bumper Kit for Rhino Track Drive Module (am-3358)
- Weight: 8.9 lbs (no gearbox, no motors)
- Drop center pulley distance: 0.15 inch lower than the two adjacent pulleys
- Tread Material: Carbox Nitrile Rubber
- Tread Color: Blue
- Tread Pattern: Roughtop
- Timing Belt Style: HV with center tracking V
- Timing Belt Length: 65.5 inches
- Overall Length: 30.44 inches with Upper Arm at 34 degree angle, (31.3 inches with Upper Arm at 5 degrees and moved in to secondary pivot point)
- Width: 3.75 inches
- Side Plate Thickness: 3/16 inch
- Side Plate Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum
- One - Outside Plate (am-3318)
- One - Inside Plate (am-3319)
- Two - Upper Bar (am-3320)
- Eight - 20 Tooth Track Drive Pulley (am-3298a)
- Eight - 3/8" id 1.125 od ball bearing (1614ZZ) (am-0209)
- Twenty Seven - 10-24x1.25 Thread Forming Screw, Zinc [Qty-10] (am-1278)
- Four - Pulley, 42 Tooth (am-2234)
- One - Timing Belt, Gates HTD, 15mm wide, 85T, 425-5M-15 (am-2703)
- One - Rhino Track Timing Belt (am-3288)
- One - 500EX Hex Hub (am-2568)
- One - 1/2" Hex Bore, Flanged, Heavy Duty Inner Race Shielded Ball Bearing (FR8ZZ-HexHD) (am-2986)
- One - Turnbuckle (am-3321)
- Ten - 500 Churro Tube 3.375" +/- 0.125" (am-2569)
- Twenty - 1/4-20 x 3/4 Thread Forming Screw (am-1310)
- Six - 3/8-16 x 4.25" Hex Head Bolt (am-1297)
- Two - Collar Clamp, 3/8" Bore, Aluminum (am-2382)
- One - 250 Sprocket and Pulley Spacer (am-0207a)
- One - Collar Clamp, 1/2" Hex Bore, Aluminum (am-1238)
- Six - #10-32 x 1.25 inch BHCS (am-1260)
- Six - 10-32 Nylock Nut, Steel, Zinc Plated, [Qty-50] (am-1212)
- Two - 3/16 Thick Nylon Spacer (am-1181)
- Two - 1.86-0375 Plastic Spacer (am-0243)
- Two - 0.82 inch x 3/8 Spacer (am-2243)
- Two - 985x375 Spacer (am-0441)
- Six - 3/8 Washer (am-1393)
- Six - 3/8-16 Nylock Jam Nut (am-1394)
Product Issue (updated 2/17/16):
Please see this page
for more details about the progression from the original pulley to the
now current Rev4 pulley. All orders of Rhino Track Drive Modules will
ship with Rev4 pulleys.