This wheel has improved capacity, lower cost, and better interfacing ability than our older 8 in. Mecanum wheels. This version is named 8" MK Mecanum in honor of AndyMark co-founder Mark Koors (MK) retiring in June 2016.
This is a set of 4 wheels, consisting of 2 "right" wheels and 2 "left" wheels. All 4 wheels are required to make a Mecanum drive holonomic system to work properly.
Strong, steel side plates are riveted to a black polycarbonate core. This core has a common AndyMark hub, designed for mounting aluminum hubs, sprockets, or bearings easily. The standard 6-hole mounting pattern and bearing bore are utilized here on the wheel. The rollers are molded with a nylon core and a 80A durometer TPU overmold in a special way which adheres the roller core to the skin for high durability. These rollers spin on a captured brass axle tube, contained by a #10 machine screw.
We have been able to drive cost out of these wheels, so they are less expensive than our previous 8" Mecanum wheels, while still having a very high capacity and a smooth roll.
These wheels are ASSEMBLED and shipped ready to roll!
Individual Hardware within Wheel Set Assembly:
- Diameter: 8"
- Width across middle: 3.50 inches
- Bore: 1.125 inch diameter x 0.25 inch deep with a 0.96 inch diameter thru hole
- Bolt Pattern: 6 holes (0.157 in.) on a 1.875 inch bolt circle
- Body Material: Black polycarbonate
- Load Capacity: 500 pounds per wheel
- Coefficient of Friction, Forward/Backwards: 0.7 (on tight pile carpet)
- Coefficient of Friction, Sideways: 0.6 (on tight pile carpet)
- Weight: 4.58 Lbs
- Number of Rollers: 12
- Roller Material, Core: Nylon (white)
- Roller Material, Surface: TPU
- Roller Durometer: 80A
- Roller Bearing Material: Nylon
- Roller Axle: Brass Tube, 1/4 inch diameter
These wheels were designed by Mark Koors, co-founder of AndyMark. The "MK" in 8" MK Mecanum stands for Mark's name.
- 4 - Left MK Mecanum Ring Plates
- 4 - Right MK Mecanum Ring Plates
- 8 - Polycarbonate MK Mecanum Hub Halves
- 48 - MK Mecanum Rollers
- 48 - Brass Tube Axles
- 48 - #10-32 x 3.50" SHCS
- 48 - #10-32 Nylock Jam Nuts
- 48 - #10-24 x 3/4 Thread Forming Screw
- 96 - 3/16" Rivets
Mark retired from AndyMark in the summer of 2016 after growing the company with Andy Baker since 2004. AndyMark is known for being the first company who made Mecanum wheels available to all robot builders in 2006. Mark was the designer of these wheels and the designer of all AndyMark Mecanum wheels. He and Andy were inspired by FIRST Robotics Team 357, Royal Assault, after they introduced Mecanum wheels to FIRST during the 2005 competition season.